The sound of bells has been a familiar and much-loved ingredient of Sunday worship at St.Nicolas' for generations. In addition, many couples who marry here feel that their wedding would not be complete without it.
A Little History
The Kings Norton Guild of Change Ringers was founded in 1892, with the main objective of ensuring that St.Nicolas' bells were rung regularly for Sunday worship. Apart from brief interruptions in time of war, it has maintained this tradition right up to the present day.
Bell ringing at St.Nicolas', however, goes back much further than this. There have been bells in the tower ever since it was built in the mid 15th Century. The art of ringing bells to changes began in England in the 17th Century and developed in the 18th Century.
St.Nicolas' acquired a new peal of eight bells in 1783 to replace an earlier peal of six. One of these bells, dated 1689, can be seen at the back of the church and in the photo at the top of this page.
We are one of only 39 churches in the Diocese of Birmingham which possess bells hung for change ringing. We now have ten, the extra two having been added in 1926 following a major restoration. In 2004 our wrought iron clappers had an 80th birthday treat, a trip to the bell foundry for a face lift, rebushing, reshaping and annealing.
The Bells Today
On Sundays, the bells call parishioners to worship and accompany their arrival at church. They also send out a reminder to those who do not come that the church is alive and active, and they are a comfort to those who are unable to attend through illness or infirmity.